Monday, May 17, 2010

This may be ...

the last acrylic I do for a while.

I am longing to get back to my transparent watercolor.
I like the direct painting of acrylic and it serves my purpose from time to time but I am a watercolor artist at heart and I will be returning to that set of brushes soon ... I plan to create this window image (shown here as today's last acrylic painting) in watercolor and post it later this week.

I think it does my brain good to work with other art materials from time to time .... forces me to think in other ways and not create by memory. Many times, I will paint something from memory or "like I've done it before."
Teaching usually knocks me out of that comfort zone rather quickly because I am forced in a gentle way to view things through my student's eyes. Working in a new or different art medium, or just reverting back to the basics like pencil or crayon (don't laugh) can relax your thinking and open up the clogs.

Try it ... you'll like it!

3 comments:

  1. This window is lovely, Teri. I understand perfectly what you are saying about doing something different for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been challenging myself . . . since I got the "new eyes" (cataracts out, lens implants in) I can see so much better . . . and I just started cross stitching again . . Te

    And, Miss Art Teacher, I have even drawn the pictures I have used for my patterns. Pretty happy, even if I( do say so myself.

    It has been fun . .gets the mind thinking in shapes and colors . . instead f following someone else's idea od color and shape.

    Oh . .when you do your watercolor, will you post both together? Please ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teri and thanks for stopping by my blog to enter the anniversary giveaway. That Anne is too cool! I hope to see you often, please do share your comments, and welcome! By the way, your artwork is beautiful. I wish I lived near you the shop looks too cool. Elena of My Quest http://elena-myquest.blogspot.com/2010/05/giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

Helpful Pet - what is your's up to?

Helpful Pet - what is your's up to?
POGO

Mixed Media Class

Mixed Media Class
Fun and projects!

Mixed Media Class

Mixed Media Class
Muriel

Mixed Media Class

Mixed Media Class
Peggy

Mixed Media Class

Mixed Media Class
Nancy

Poppies ....

Poppies ....
ready for their new home!

Ta Da .....

Ta Da .....
this little gem is ready for blog preview and Etsy post tomorrow!

Ta - da!!!!

Ta - da!!!!
I can now walk away from the Easter Pear!!!

Easter Pear?

Easter Pear?
I like pears better than eggs!!!

Easter Pear Step 1

Easter Pear Step 1
Step 1 - I thought this would be enough ... silly me!

Easter Pear Step 2

Easter Pear Step 2
Step 2 - I wanted to add a bit of EGG Whimsy.

Easter Pear Step 3

Easter Pear      Step 3
Step 3 - It wouldn't be mine if there weren't any cast shadows.

Easter Pear Step 4

Easter Pear Step 4
Step 4 - And I love a good implied table line ... don't you??

Easter Pear Step 5

Easter Pear Step 5
Step 5 - Oh, better kick up the value a bit!

Easter Pear Step 6

Easter Pear Step 6
Step 6 - The background could use a value shift.

Easter Pear Step 7

Easter Pear Step 7
Step 7 - Add, of course we need a bit of implied texture!