Monday, September 14, 2009

Three new abstracts ...

Abstracts ... the simplifying of the subject into basic shapes, colors, lines and values. Many times the abstract is only a study of shapes and color and has no recognizable subject.

I enjoy working in abstract designs ... more so than most of my students and clients. There is no "right or wrong" with abstract, we strive for good composition and design ... we are on our own, there is no resource or step by steps to mimic ... we must create our own ... and that can be very frightening.

I encourage everyone to draw and doodle ... often ... it is through this simple act, relaxing with a pencil in your hand, that we as artists develop our style, our "hand".
Sometimes my little scribbles on a post it note by the phone will be the inspiration for a project in watercolor, paper or clothe.

2 comments:

  1. What you describe about abstract is what I enjoy with my collage, though I usually end up with a *pictorial* result....although often the images don't seem to relate to each other.
    Am hurriedly working on something to do with MOON and I wonder whose fault THAT is???? ;)

    XXOO!!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you are working on your moon
    Deb and I are coming over

    My watercolors usaually always start as a an abstract ... then i develope the piece in the way it speaks to me

    see you tomorrow
    DH feeling better???

    ReplyDelete

Helpful Pet - what is your's up to?

Helpful Pet - what is your's up to?
POGO

Mixed Media Class

Mixed Media Class
Fun and projects!

Mixed Media Class

Mixed Media Class
Muriel

Mixed Media Class

Mixed Media Class
Peggy

Mixed Media Class

Mixed Media Class
Nancy

Poppies ....

Poppies ....
ready for their new home!

Ta Da .....

Ta Da .....
this little gem is ready for blog preview and Etsy post tomorrow!

Ta - da!!!!

Ta - da!!!!
I can now walk away from the Easter Pear!!!

Easter Pear?

Easter Pear?
I like pears better than eggs!!!

Easter Pear Step 1

Easter Pear Step 1
Step 1 - I thought this would be enough ... silly me!

Easter Pear Step 2

Easter Pear Step 2
Step 2 - I wanted to add a bit of EGG Whimsy.

Easter Pear Step 3

Easter Pear      Step 3
Step 3 - It wouldn't be mine if there weren't any cast shadows.

Easter Pear Step 4

Easter Pear Step 4
Step 4 - And I love a good implied table line ... don't you??

Easter Pear Step 5

Easter Pear Step 5
Step 5 - Oh, better kick up the value a bit!

Easter Pear Step 6

Easter Pear Step 6
Step 6 - The background could use a value shift.

Easter Pear Step 7

Easter Pear Step 7
Step 7 - Add, of course we need a bit of implied texture!