Monday, May 4, 2009

Need a jump start?

The fear of the blank page...well, it happens to us all.....a block.....that day when nothing gets created or even started. The day when life gets in the way and we can't seem to focus and begin the project we had planned. Some times it is caused by fear, by fatigue or by any of many reasons.

Today was that kind of day for me. I feel like I took two steps forward and three steps back. I thought I would have studio time and before I knew it, I was looking at the clock and the day was gone.

I did get a few small projects worked on so it was not a bad day, just not the day I thought I would have.

I was able to work with one of my students and we started a small watercolor. I drew a cartoon illustration for a client that sits on my work table, awaiting color in the morning. I cleaned a bit, priced some inventory, made a few phone calls and emails, even cut and folded a few small cards and envelopes.
Not a bad list of things accomplished, just not the list I thought I would be looking at tonight.

This day made me think of posting a list of things that might help you get past the fear of the blank page. This list MAY help you work through any block or slump that you encounter but you will have to deal with the other things life throws your way.

JUMP START LIST
1. Scribble, find scrap paper and just doodle. Black and white or add color.
2. List things for every letter in the alphabet. Draw some of these items.
3. Write your name or another's name, make it fancy, swirly or box like.
4. Look out a window or go for a walk. What do you see? Now sketch.
5. If you can, look at clouds and dream. What do you see?
6. Close your eyes and make a few marks on your paper, rotate it, develop it.
7. Mist the surface with clean water, splash some color on the paper and develop it.
8. Select one of the basic shapes and draw 20 of different sizes. (overlap)
9. Spill some paint, wipe it up. Do you like what you see on the paper towel?
10. Think about a favorite nursery rhyme, doodle some illustrations.

All of these listed ideas are meant to start you thinking and creating. Some will work for you and some will not. Perhaps you have other block busters to add to this list of ten ideas.

I will just close today's blog with these thoughts, relax, even a day spent completing small tasks in the studio is a good day.....not every day needs to be a masterpiece day.

2 comments:

  1. I just can't wait to get home from PT to get back to my canvas (on my blog post today) and try and get more done. It is a present, and so far it seems every single day I have thought I would have the whole day to work, something has had me out of the house.
    Maybe tomorrow......a perfect studio day..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can find time today.
    That's it!!!!!! We should set our goal for finding 15 minutes. That is a better goal than finding a whole day!
    smiling at ya

    ReplyDelete

Helpful Pet - what is your's up to?

Helpful Pet - what is your's up to?
POGO

Mixed Media Class

Mixed Media Class
Fun and projects!

Mixed Media Class

Mixed Media Class
Muriel

Mixed Media Class

Mixed Media Class
Peggy

Mixed Media Class

Mixed Media Class
Nancy

Poppies ....

Poppies ....
ready for their new home!

Ta Da .....

Ta Da .....
this little gem is ready for blog preview and Etsy post tomorrow!

Ta - da!!!!

Ta - da!!!!
I can now walk away from the Easter Pear!!!

Easter Pear?

Easter Pear?
I like pears better than eggs!!!

Easter Pear Step 1

Easter Pear Step 1
Step 1 - I thought this would be enough ... silly me!

Easter Pear Step 2

Easter Pear Step 2
Step 2 - I wanted to add a bit of EGG Whimsy.

Easter Pear Step 3

Easter Pear      Step 3
Step 3 - It wouldn't be mine if there weren't any cast shadows.

Easter Pear Step 4

Easter Pear Step 4
Step 4 - And I love a good implied table line ... don't you??

Easter Pear Step 5

Easter Pear Step 5
Step 5 - Oh, better kick up the value a bit!

Easter Pear Step 6

Easter Pear Step 6
Step 6 - The background could use a value shift.

Easter Pear Step 7

Easter Pear Step 7
Step 7 - Add, of course we need a bit of implied texture!